Home » News » Tech » Global shipment of smartphones with 3D sensing technology will cross 100 million units this year

Global shipment of smartphones with 3D sensing technology will cross 100 million units this year

Global shipment of smartphones with 3D sensing technology will cross 100 million units this year

Apple introduced the 3D sensing technology last year with its state-of-the-art Apple iPhone X which soon became a norm (as it always does) with Android brands opting for the technology and integrating it in their smartphone. As per some reliable sources, the smartphone with 3D sensing technology is expected to reach global shipment of over 100 million units in 2018 as we dive into Q3.

Apple introduced the iPhone X that features notch support, edge-to-edge display, facial recognition with 3D sensing technology that takes 30,000 data points as a reference to unlocking the phone in just a few microseconds. Apple will launch three new iPhone models this year with 3D sensing technology that will reckon up the sales chart with more than 91 millions units of iPhone with 3D sensing technology is expected to be shipped this year.

To put things into perspective, Apple’s sales this year will account for 88% of the global smartphones with 3D sensing technology as opposed to 12 million units that will be shipped by all Android smartphone brands combined.

Xiaomi announced its 6.28-inch Mi 8 Explorer Edition in May that combines its in-display fingerprint sensor (something that Apple is yet to figure out) along with 3D facial recognition technology that will hit the stores in China on July 24 with a price tag of $550. Oppo unveiled its Oppo Find X 6.42-inch AMOLED display with Snapdragon 845 processor and 8GB RAm similar to its rival Mi 8 but at a price tag of $750.

China-based Vivo unveiled a 3D sensing technology touted as ten times more accurate than the face ID recognition system on Apple iPhone X. Known as Time of Flight (TOF) system, the technology takes 300,000 data points to map a 3D image of the user as opposed to the 30,000 data points mapped by iPhone X. The device consisting of TOF is expected to release later this year.

Samsung, one of the highest selling smartphone brand, has its own facial recognition system in its Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S9 devices, however, it is 2D and can be spoofed easily using a photo of the user. However, Samsung is working on its own 3D facial recognition system that will be unveiled with Samsung Galaxy S10 that will be released at CES 2018 in January next year.

3D sensing technology has instantly become a norm but Apple will remain the industry leader and primary vendor of this tech this year with 88% of the total global shipment of smartphones with 3D sensing technology will be iPhone while the rest 12% will be the various smartphones from all Android smartphones combined.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top